Health Focus

Don't Wait to Hydrate!

We’re coming into the last month of summer and it’s looking like its going to be a hot one. Whether you’re working out at the Y, walking around the park, or making the most out of the beach, staying hydrated iskey.

Here are some facts about staying hydrated for the hotter months of the year.

* You may need to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day.

We all remember hearing and maybesharing the advice. We now know that the amount of water we actually need to drink is very individualized. There many factors, including age, gender, health, environment, and physical activity that all add up to determine how much water you need.

*About 20% of your water intake will come from foods (especially fruits and vegetables) and the other 80% from beverages.

Some foods high in water are watermelons and spinach at 92%. Who knew enjoying a sweet slice of watermelon and maybe a light spinach salad would add that much water to your daily intake? Grapefruit is 90% and broccoli is 89%. Wow. Even avocados are 81%. Bring on the guacamole!

*Water plays a big role in many biological functions, including maintaining our core temperature, transporting nutrients to cells, removing waste products, and keeping our pH levels balanced.

*Don’t wait until you become thirsty to hydrate. By then, it will be too late.

Typically by the time you're thirsty, you're about 3 percent dehydrated. Athletic performance may already be compromised, and you will be at a higher risk for developing cramps and possibly heat illness.

*Bring your refillable water bottles and fill up at your local YMCA while working out or enjoying the pool.

Our Mission: To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.